Wednesday, May 6, 2015

OYERA VILLAGE REJOICING FOR IMPROVED ACCESS TO SAFE WATER IN THEIR VILLAGE



I used to spend 3hr a day collecting 3 jerry cans of water from 3 km away my home (as narrated by Adio Baveto 34 year old). This water was not enough for my home including my animals. My animals used to get scattered to look for water anywhere they would get it. In the process, they would destroy people’s gardens. This would result into serious misunderstandings and quarreling with fellow village members almost on a daily basis. Sometimes, we would use water from Pagada River as it was nearer and no waiting time wasted as it was the case in the neighboring village. However this was not safe and on many occasions, my children complained of stomach pain and diarrhea.

Amref Health Africa came as our savior. Having assessed our WASH situation, they first sensitized us about what we were required to do before getting a water point. This necessitated all HHs having toilets, and the capital contribution of UGX 200,000/=. We raised the money and those who never had latrines started digging pits and putting structures. 




                                                         Water source used before the project

                                                     Scooping water from small halls (we thought it was safer)

Majority of the village members positively supported construction works by giving food to contractors, supervision, collecting poles and fencing off the borehole.
The Water User Committee (WUC) was established and trained. This helped much in formulating guiding bye laws, and collecting water user fees (UGX 1000 per HH). Well-wishers clean the bore hole on a daily basis as we want to maintain it clean all times. I am able to collect more than 6 jerry cans a day without wasting much time. This water is enough for our domestic use including animals. It even saved me from the misunderstandings that would develop due to my animals encroaching on neighbours gardens as they looked for water. 

Adio is a famer and a brick maker. “I have benefited more from this water source. My family member collects enough water for use at home and I collect more water for making my bricks here. So far I have made 10,000 bricks and am still making more. Each brick will go for UGX 200 and once I sell my bricks, I will contribute more UGX 10,000 (equivalent to USD 4) to the maintenance fund for this borehole. We will ensure its good operation and maintenance and we consider this water point 100% for the people of Oyera village not for Amref because it is benefiting us (said by Patric).

Neighboring village members all collect water from the same source. Our plan is to list these HHs and collect water user fees from them. This will help us during any breakage/repair.
We sincerely thank Amref Health Africa for constructing this water point to the people of Oyera Village and surrounding community members. 

No comments:

Post a Comment